Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lugaw 'Zagat Style'


I've always tweaked my cooking based on my Caucasian husband's preference. First off, they're the 'kind' of people that doesn't take lightly to msg - he gets headache-y. Second, they have a preference for bland foods. They don't like the smell of fish sauce, shrimp paste (bagoong), and oily adobos. Finally, I noticed they can't eat ginger sticks as expertly as we do. I saw my father in law spit a whole ginger stick I mixed with the chicken curry :D

Now, I've read from myfilipinorecipes.com that there are three different types of Pinoy congee. One, the Arroz Caldo with bone-in chicken thighs and legs. Two, the 'Goto', where you add 'tuwalya' (tripe), beef, and internal organs. And then there's the simple 'lugaw' without the chicken but still filling  altogether when added with toppings.

So instead of following an entire recipe to a 't', or typing the recipe below altogether, I'll just give you the ingredients I used so you can tweak it to your heart's content.

Also, just follow how 'Panlasang Pinoy' does his style of Arroz Caldo, without the chicken, if you're just making plain Congee like what I'm doing.

Here's what I used:

Uncooked jasmine rice
fish sauce
Kirkland's Granulated Garlic

Kirkland's Chopped Onion

ground black pepper
Sliced lemons
Hard boiled eggs
Ginger (3 sticks plus, grated)
Swanson's Chicken Broth
Toi Xai Fried Garlic (Container similar to this but the brand is 'Toi Xai' sooo good papak style) for toppings

Option: Add saffron if its not too expensive where you live. I think it's only cheap in the Philippines considering I see saffron threads on my 'lugaw' when I buy it at the palengke (wet market).

When I have better lighting, I will post my actual pics. Winter is not very conducive to displaying food, especially if I'd like to use natural light.

KAIN NA!








No comments:

Post a Comment