Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Green Smoothie Revolution

Even when I know it's really important to have greens in my diet, I'm one of those who simply prefer not to eat salads.

The thing is, when I am eating a salad, mainly all greens, I had to psyche myself up that its for the best, it feels lighter and I will feel better. Somehow wishing that maybe God could have made greens more palatable. Also, the veggies that are packed with more nutrients are not mainly 'taste-friendly' (beets, bitter gourd, kale and chard). Without a flavorful dip such as mayo (and a caloric one at that), I wouldn't enjoy eating a carrot or a celery stick.

So a not so new way of eating my greens is to follow the bandwagon of...


TADAH! THE GREEN SMOOTHIE REVOLUTION

'Yes, yes, Precious', I know you prefer Taters and this picture looks icky. It does look like Slimer's ectoplasm but it really is delish! What are the ingredients festooned in this swamp looking brew? Kale, apple, orange, banana, almonds, lemon rind, 1/4 cup of apple juice to neutralize the flavor and a handful of ice. It was already a meal for me since I felt really full after I drank one tall glass. 

You can mix and match the ingredients according to your tastes. My favorite is strawberry, banana, orange, small orange peel, kale, carrot, 1/4 cup of apple juice, and a handful of ice. Drop, blend, and voila! My Gerber Smoothie. (For some reason, it tasted like fruity baby food). I am really not a stickler for measuring ingredients to a 'T'. I just dump it all on our Vitamix blender. But if you want to get the most potent combination, always include the Power 5 - kale, chard (or collards), spinach, carrots, and flax seed. Combine with at least 1 fruit to add for vitamins and a sweet punch to the mix.

The beauty of the green smoothie is that it oxidizes the veggies before going into your system making it well absorbed by the body.

We attended a green smoothie class and were taught to eat ONLY raw, organic, plant-based foods. Nah, I'm not turning into a vegetarian just yet. (Hell no will I give up the flavor of cheeseburgers and bacon). But I believe this is the best and healthiest meal replacement when I'm on a diet (preferably lunch or dinner.). Let's see how cancer can still creep into my system if I drink these baddies 5 days a week (coupled with exercise of course).

Here are some suggestions on smoothie makers. It's always wise to invest on our health. ( I have the Vitamix)

The Vitamix
   Blendtec
The Nutribullet

A toast to our health! Drink up your salads!






No comments:

Post a Comment